Sometimes as a web developer, when a client contacts us to setup a website for them, we often get worked up trying to figure out how the website should look and what kind of features we should or shouldn’t add to the website. It’s even more intense if you are a newbie or a freelancer and this internal battle can take us through an unpleasant phase. To make it easier for you, we’ve complied a list of features that could make your website work la perfecto.
1. Elegant Custom Theme: A theme is the overall visual display of your website, while a custom theme is a pre-made theme available either for free or a small purchase fee. Having a collection of elegant themes for various types of organization’s websites such as school, church, startup, etc can ease your choice of the right look and feel for your website. And If you are using WordPress, you can make use of beautiful and top notch custom themes integrated with the popular wordpress builders such as Elementor, visual composer, Divi, Otter and Guttenberg, etc to add more beauty, flexibility and features to your website.
2. Responsive Mobile Friendly Design: You should ensure that your website is optimized across various devices from laptop PCS to iPads/tablets to Smartphone to smaller mobile devices by adjusting displays according to their screen sizes and still display your website content in a coordinated and fitted way. This can be achieved when you ensure your theme collection are mobile responsive.
3. Homepage Slider: Every business should have room to display a beautiful slideshow of their website introducing, offers, images, etc at the top of your pages to capture the attention of their website visitors when necessary.
4. Google Analytics integration: Google analytics is a tool by Google for monitoring your website visitors. It tells your clients how many people is visiting your site per daily, weekly, monthly, yearly and lifetime basis, from where they came into your website, how long they stayed on your website, what they viewed or did in your website, e.g. what products they checked out, what devices they were using, what country they live in, how they exit the website, etc. A data analyst (if you are one or have any working with your website) can use these statistics to offer better strategies to advertise your website, retain your website visitors, get them to purchase a product, etc.
5. SSL Support: In this age, a SSL is a must. You should setup “encrypt SSL” for your website. For your website to be certified secured online, it has to have a SSL certificate. Web visitors can check if a website is secured by looking at the address bar, if you see a locked padlock symbol and also if the website URL starts with https://, then that website has SSL certificate and is secured. Online users won’t make any transaction on websites that are not secured as such website pose a risk of hackers stealing their confidential information (e.g. credit card information) and use it against them. So getting your website secured guarantees the safety of your client’s website visitors and reassures them that their private information is protected. In addition to SSL, you can help them draft and setup their privacy policies on the website.
6. Social Media Integration: You want to add links to your facebook, twitter, instagram, linkedin, etc social profiles so your client’s website visitors can add or follow them, or contact them on social media.
7. Contact Form: Allow your clients’ website visitors to send a message in form of query, feedback, suggestion, request, complaint, etc to their mailbox right from their website. Save them the time to open their mail first before been able to compose and send a message to you. Contact form also hides their email address from online email scrappers and thus save them from spam messages.
8. Email Subscription: Allow your clients’ website visitors subscribe with their email address to receive notifications of any new release, update, or product, article, blog post, etc on their website straight to their mailbox.
9. Unlimited Pages and Content: Your cliemts shold have the freedom to create, delete, recreate as many pages and content to your heart content. But make sure to warn them not to create useless pages that offer their website visitors no value. Only create new pages and add content whenever it is truly necessary.
10. SEO Setup: SEO means Search Engine optimization. With Seo plugins, you can setup your client’s website to be optimized for users searching the internet using Google, Yahoo, Bing, Yandex, etc in order to bring up their website and products in search results relating to their website content, products or services.
11. Blog/News Integration: Your clients may wish to have a blog/news section on their website where they can share written articles, nuggets, fresh ideas, news, announcements, etc, you should be able to integrate this into your website.
12. Online Payment and Ecommerce Integration: Would your clients like to integrate automatically processed online transactions on their website and give their website visitors an option to pay online using their ATM cards? You should be able to integrate any popular online payment gateway of their choosing such as as Paypal, Stripe, Paystack, Rave (flutterwave), VoguePay, etc so they can sell their products, courses, ebooks, receive donations, etc and receive payments online using ATM cards.
13. Live Chat (by tawk.to): You can integrate a live chat (powered by tawk.io) on your clients so users can chat with them or their customer care from the website while your clients responds to them using the tawk.to app on any Android device.
And these are the basic features that you can put on your To-Do list when you want to kick start a website design job for your client. Are there any other features not listed here? Do share them in the comment section. Cheers.