When you opt to buy a service from a registrar such as a domain name or hosting plan, you are most likely going to have to pay using an ATM card. ATM cards, be it of the Verve, MasterCard or Visa Card brand, or if its purpose is for debit, credit or prepaid, can be used over the internet for making online transactions.
However, you might not be able to use your ATM card on the web for online transactions unless you enable your card to support the feature. This is necessary because whenever you are to make any payment over the internet, you might be required to enter a safetoken, which is usually sent to your phone number. And you won’t be able to recieve a safetoken if you haven’t activated this feature.
You can activate your ATM card for online transactions with the use of any Automatic Teller Machine (ATM) in Nigeria. Below is the steps to activate the feature on your card;
How to activate
- Visit an ATM
- Insert your MasterCard, Visa or Verve card.
- Enter your current PIN when prompted (Change the PIN if it’s your first time)
- Select your bank account type e.g Savings or Current
- Select the Quickteller option from the Menu
- Select to Pay bills > Others
- Enter 322222 as the Biller or Payment Code
- Enter your phone number as the Customer Reference number and select Proceed
- You will be asked if you want to make a N1 payment. Agree by selecting to pay.
- You will receive a reply that the payment was successful.
Once activated, you will be able to use your card to make online transactions subsequently. Before paying for any transaction, you will be sent a One Time Password (OTP) a.k.a Safetoken via SMS to your phone number which you use during activation for at the ATM. You must submit/enter to the OTP to complete the transaction.
The steps for making online payment with your activated card on registrar websites that support it is summarised thus:
- Select to pay using your Debit, Prepaid or credit card if supported by the site. E.g. Quickteller, Cashenvoy, Voguepay, Jumia, Konga, etc supports card payment.
- Enter your card number (about 19 digits) on the front of the card;
- Enter the expiry date also at the front;
- Enter the 3 or 4 digit CVV “Card Verification Value” or CVV2 security code which is at the back of the card. If there are more than 3 to 4 numbers then the CVV2 code is the last three (3) numbers in the set;
- Enter your 4 digit card PIN (Same as used on ATM);
- Click the Pay or submit button
- An OTP will be sent to your phone in a few seconds
- Enter the OTP sent to your phone
- Then, Click the submit button to complete the transaction.
Your bank account linked to the card will be debited and your bank will send you a debit alert.
You should be able to make online payments to both local and foreign mechants websites with the use of a MasterCard and Visa Card.
The downside of the Verve card is that you can use it only on local websites and merchants in Nigeria but can’t use in on most foreign websites (in Europe, North America or Asia).
|Verve, Visa and MasterCard|